A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area
Your Success Is Our Success For Compassionate Legal Services - Contact Our Firm

Family-Based Green Cards

Personal Legal Service from Our San Mateo Immigration Lawyer

Individuals may immigrate to the U.S. based on a relationship with a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. Spouses, parents, and unmarried children (under 21 years old) of U.S. citizens can qualify for a green card as an immediate relative. The immediate relative category has no annual quota restrictions, making this avenue one of the faster routes to obtaining a green card.

At The Alagiri Immigration Law Firm, we are backed by more than a decade of experience as a firm. We pride ourselves on providing clients worldwide with personal, efficient service that helps achieve their goals. Over the years, we have established a track record of success and maintained our commitment to our clients. Our founding attorney comes from a family of immigrants and she understands the difficulties that you face, especially when loved ones are involved.

Call (650) 931-2509 to set up a consultation with our experienced San Mateo immigration attorney.

Preference Categories for Non-Immediate Relatives

The other categories for obtaining a green card through a family member have annual visa quota restrictions and are broken down into four preference categories.

These categories are as follows:

  • First Preference: This category includes unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen (if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21).
  • Second Preference: This category includes the spouses and unmarried sons or daughters of lawful permanent residents. Spouses and sons and daughters under the age of 21 constitute the family-based second preference “A” category. Sons and daughters over the age of 21 constitute the family-based second preference “B” category.
  • Third Preference: This category includes the married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
  • Fourth Preference: This category includes brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens age 21 and over.

Additional Routes to Permanent Residence for Family Members

Other routes to permanent residence involve marriage to a U.S. citizen:

  • K1 Fiancé Visa: A K1 fiancé visa allows a foreign fiancé of a U.S. citizen to travel to the U.S. to marry the U.S. citizen.
  • K3 Spouse Visa: The K3 visa is a visa that allows spouses of U.S. citizens who have pending immigrant visa petitions to enter the U.S. The U.S. citizen spouse would adjust status to a permanent resident once the immigrant visa petition is approved. The purpose of the K3 visa is to shorten the time that a married couple must remain apart while an immigrant visa petition is pending.

Contact The Alagiri Immigration Law Firm to learn more about your options.

An Immigration Lawyer That Works for You

Here Are a Few Things that Set Us Apart
  • Going Above & Beyond

    We Work Hard to Help Clients through the Challenges of Immigration Law.

  • We Put Integrity First

    Our Firm Provides Honest & Knowledgeable Legal Advice.

  • We're Here For You

    We're Here To Answer Any Questions You Have About Your Case.

  • Every Case Is Unique

    We Take a Personal Interest in Every Case We Take On.