A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

How Long Will It Take to Get a Green Card Through Marriage?

If you are in the U.S. and married to a U.S. citizen, the process to obtain permanent residence takes on average six to twelve months. The application requires submitting a comprehensive package to USCIS consisting of the Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative), which must prove the legitimacy of the marital relationship, and the Form I-485 (Application to Adjust Status), which inquires about such things as the foreign spouse’s status in the U.S. and prior immigration problems. The other forms included in the application are the Form I-693 (Medical Exam Results), which contain the results of the foreign spouse’s required medical exam, and the Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support), which provides proof that the U.S. citizen can financially support his or her foreign spouse. The other forms that may be submitted include the Forms I-765 and I-131, which respectively grant the foreign spouse with employment authorization and permission to travel internationally.