A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

Can I pursue further studies in the U.S. while on an H-1B visa?

As an H-1B visa holder, you are permitted to take classes. However, the primary purpose of your being in the U.S. must be your H-1B employment and you must continue working for your H-1B employer in the same capacity. You may be able to amend your H-1B petition to work part-time, which would enable you to have more time to pursue your studies. If you don’t want to continue H-1B employment, then you can change your visa status to an F1 student visa. The F-1 student visa would require you to be a full time student.