A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

How Can I Bring My Wife to the Us to Live with Me?

I want to bring my wife to the US to live with me - how long is the process to bring her here?

"I want to bring my wife to the us to live with me" is a different question for US Citizens than it is for Green Card holders. As a Green Card holder, you can petition to bring your foreign wife to the US to live with you by filing the Form I-130. Unfortunately, though, the wait time for a visa for spouses of lawful permanent residents is currently about 2.5-3 years.

If you become a U.S. citizen during that time, you can “upgrade” your application. Spouses of U.S. citizens are considered immediate relatives with no wait time for an immigrant visa.

According to the USCIS, if you have been married less than 2 years when your spouse is granted permanent resident status, your spouse will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis. You will have to remove the conditional status within the 90 day period before the expiration date on the green card. If you fail to file during this time, your spouse’s lawful permanent resident status will be terminated and he or she may be subject to removal from the United States, so don't forget this important step.

If you have any further questions about bringing your wife to the US to live or other immigration topics, please feel free to contact us and we can help you out.