A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

What are the best ways to get a U.S. working visa for an entrepreneur?

There are two types of visas categories one can fall under to work in the U.S. – a non-immigrant visa or an immigrant visa. The non-immigrant visas are temporary in nature and typically require employer sponsorship (ex. H1B visa). There are ways with these types of visas to start-up a company, but there are limitations (see previously answered FAQ question). To come here for the sole purpose of starting up a company, you can look into the L1 intra-company transfer visa or the E Trade/Investor visas. These visas are temporary, non-immigrant visas. The other possible option is to wait for the Start Up Visa which was recently introduced in Congress. It is unclear, however, if and/or when it will ever become law.

Immigrant visas, on the other hand, allow admission into the U.S. as a permanent resident. For entrepreneurs, the EB5 visa preference category is worth looking into because it does not require an employer sponsor. However, it does require investing $500K-$1M in an enterprise in the U.S.