A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

How to Get US Citizenship?

Many people want to know how to get US citizenship, or what is the 'best' or fastest way to become a citizen of the United States. A common and relatively reliable way to become a US Citizen is through marriage to a US citizen.

Green cards for immediate family members - spouses. parents, and minor dependent children - have no quotas, so as long as you are approved, there will always be visas available. This makes it the fastest way to obtain a green card, and, therefore, the fastest way to become a U.S. citizen.

How can I bring my Spouse to the US?

According to the US State Department, if you are a U.S. citizen, you have two ways to bring your foreign spouse (husband or wife) to the United States to live. They are:

Immigrant visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1) or a Nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3)

It is important to note that application for the nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) who married a U.S. citizen must be filed and the visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place. After the visa process has been completed, and the visa is issued, the spouse can travel to the United States to wait for the processing of the immigrant visa case. In this case, two separate petitions are required.

For couples that have yet to marry: If you are a U.S. citizen, you may bring your fiancé(e) to the United States to marry and live here with a nonimmigrant visa for a fiancé(e), the K-1 Visa.

What is the best way for an adult to get US citizenship?

There is no "best way" to get US citizenship, but there is usually a way that is best for your unique situation.

If you have any further questions about how to get us citizenship, please feel free to contact us and we can help you out.