A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

Do Spouses of U.S. Citizens Automatically Get Work Visas?

Can a spouse of a US citizen living abroad obtain a work visa based on the marriage only?

No, unfortunately not. If you are coming to the US to work and do not have a Green Card, then you would need your employer to sponsor you for a work visa. Depending on the type of work you will be doing, there might be other visas you can use to enter. Simply being married to a U.S. Citizen without already having a green card, employment authorization document or something similar will not allow you to work here.

US Citizen spouses who have already become lawful permanent residents of the United States are allowed to work based on their permanent resident status. In order to become a legal resident of the United States based on your marriage to a US Citizen, you'll need to apply for a family-based green card.

If you have any further questions about work visas for us citizen spouses or any other US immigration questions, please feel free to contact us and we can help you out.