COVID 19 Notice: We are open and available during this time. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with your immigration questions!

A Boutique Immigration Law Firm Serving the Bay Area

How can you move to Silicon Valley to create or work at a startup if you're not an US citizen?

The two visas that can be used to start a business in the U.S. are the E visa and the L1 visa. The E1 treaty trader visa allows individuals from E1 treaty countries to enter the U.S. for the purpose of carrying out “substantial” trade between the individual’s country and the U.S. The E2 visa allows individuals from E2 treaty countries to enter the U.S. for the purpose of investing a “substantial” amount of capital in an enterprise (including purchasing a new business). For the list of current E1 and E2 treaty countries, please visit…. The L1 intracompany transfer visa allows individuals to enter the U.S. to open a new office of a foreign corporation. To qualify, the individual must be an executive, manager or a “specialized” knowledge worker, and must have worked for the corporation for at least one year out of the last three years.